
Science Support Center (SSC).
Kelli is our instructor. She's kind of a badass. And we graduated from BHS together! Way back in '96.
Kelli gives us the low-down on how to tell which is the front and backof the tent and tricks for setting up in a wicked wind storm.
There are a few different kinds of tents; we got to practice with all of them.
Look! I'm tying a trucker's knot to secure the tent to the snow using a Dead Man's anchor.
Here we're learning how to cut snow blocks.
And discussing the best way to construct our wind wall.
Brooks was a little sleepy (and he already knows all this - he's a badass like Kelli) so he decided to snack on some sunshine.
Here I am priming the fuel can.
And connecting the camp stove to the fuel can, which, as you can see by my tongue, requires a great deal of concentration.
Lighter ready!
Me Chichi! I make fire! This is probably the only time I will see an actual fire flame
all season. Otherwise, they have a nice crakling virtual fire
playing on channel 4 on the T.V. on occasion.
And that kids, is how you survive in Antarctica.
No comments:
Post a Comment